Anyone else have this trouble?

easyclassicalplayer

Anyone else have this trouble?

Message par easyclassicalplayer » mer. 03 octobre 2007, 23:32

Have bigger aspiratons than you can handle in playing and buy things to justify that you will use it and work on it, namely music books. I have so many instruction books, I would say at least 150, and may have only gone through parts of a few of them.... sigh... I am not sure why I do this. I hear beautiful music, want to play it, then get the book for it, and never progress, either because it is too hard or I don't know how to follow it...

sigh..sigh...sigh...

anyone else have this problem before or is it just me :?:

Manfred

Re: Anyone else have this trouble?

Message par Manfred » jeu. 04 octobre 2007, 19:12

Hello,
What is wrong about having a little Library on a subject you love. Are you really obliged to read and study every word and every note? Once you try to play a piece and find it too difficult, put it aside and try it again later. You will see it has become easier. Your instruction books you can consult to find answers on special problems, or you read them just for fun. Take it easy and enjoy what you have.
Greetings
Manfred

LanceFortune

Message par LanceFortune » jeu. 04 octobre 2007, 22:10

I know exactly what you’re talking about. I went through such a phase before. I don’t want to freak you out, but it lasted several decades in my case…

One simple thing that helped me to get through that?

I got a teacher.

If you figure out the cost of 150 books… pays for a few guitar lessons. Plus the fact that we have here thousands of scores, and usually, a teacher has access to much more… and finally, the discipline that comes from the fact that one has to practice before the weekly lesson.

It worked for me. Big time.

easyclassicalplayer

Message par easyclassicalplayer » mar. 09 octobre 2007, 01:43

Thanks for the encpuragement folks, I needed this... I have to give myself credit though, I have slowed down buying.... :D

Emol

Message par Emol » jeu. 07 février 2008, 16:36

Hi easyclassicalplayer!

Of course it is good to have lots of instruction book/scores. It can only be good for you. What you need is to have a plan, clearly defined goals and make sure you approach them in a proper way. This can be done by a good teacher or sometimes even by yourself if you know what to do.

Cheers,
Emol

Count

Message par Count » sam. 09 février 2008, 00:20

I have a three ring binder divided into sections. One section for some works I am playing well. One for some pieces that still are rough in some passages and one section with one or two pieces (at the most) that I am just starting. The rest of my sheet music I store in a file box with a folder for each composer.

Emol

Message par Emol » sam. 09 février 2008, 17:03

It is great idea, too. Segregating your private library make it easier to look more integrally at it.

LanceFortune

Message par LanceFortune » lun. 11 février 2008, 17:44

easyclassicalplayer a écrit :Have bigger aspiratons than you can handle in playing and buy things to justify that you will use it and work on it, namely music books. I have so many instruction books, I would say at least 150, and may have only gone through parts of a few of them.... sigh... I am not sure why I do this. I hear beautiful music, want to play it, then get the book for it, and never progress, either because it is too hard or I don't know how to follow it...

sigh..sigh...sigh...

anyone else have this problem before or is it just me :?:
Last weekend, I’ve encountered a similar situation in another field. Someone - I know very well - decided, many years ago (since he enjoyed lotsa spare time cuz he’s now retired) to involve himself in photography. So he bought a camera. Than another one, better. Then, a little after, the best possible in the world.

After that, he bought books. Then more books. He might have something like… 50 books on the topic of digital photography!

Seems to be stuck into that preliminary level, so he’s asked for advice (I personally attended photography courses a long time ago and always been involved in that field). I simply told him to get lessons and undertake realistic objectives within some serious program, inasmuch as he’s got ALL the tools to do whatever he wants, right!?!

Seems that some people can do it by themselves. :okok:

Some can’t. :cry:

I’m one of them guys. Took me a while to admit it, though. :oops:

bobaf69

Message par bobaf69 » dim. 17 février 2008, 11:28

Hi ,
I have the same addiction :D. It's always good to have access to a good library as you never know when you are gonna need something from one of those books. Lessons are more useful though.
That's my two cents.

fuyioioih

Message par fuyioioih » sam. 01 mars 2008, 06:46

Get a teacher. Show him/her what you can do and what you want to do. Get him/her to push you into practicing.
I find it very difficult to convince myself that practicing is a daily habit. Teacher gets around that because I have to do it for teacher.

I fumbled around for years with books and only learned how to play a few pieces. I found a teacher who included me in a group class.
We played what we learned for the group and he kept us each working to the limit of our learning capacity (except one very talented
lady who seemed to immediately master whatever he threw at her). At the end of a year I had learned about an hour and a half of
classical guitar pieces and countless exercises for developing manual skills. I also had a supply of works to learn that I would never have
known about if not for my teacher. I've been working on that beginning ever since (twenty years).
The one thing I was missing in my box of tools was the ability to hear the pieces. As far as I knew, no one had ever recorded most of them.

Guess what! That tool is available on this forum. There are audio and video files of much of the music available here as well in pdf format.
It's a student's banquet.

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » dim. 02 mars 2008, 18:13

I second that. I love to look at collections of scores whenever I am in a music shop, and I've accumulated quite a few over the years, many of which are still beyond my current playing level, but it's good to have something ready for when the time comes. Although I started off trying to learn from instruction books, I eventually went to a teacher, and the difference in progress was striking. When she found out what an extensive collection of scores I had, she suggested that, instead of following her usual syllabus, I should give her a listing of the scores I already had (mostly photocopies of the index pages), and she then mapped out a graded lesson programme from those scores. It's great to feel I'm now getting through many of the pieces I once only dreamed of playing, thanks to a skilled and flexible teacher.

Geoff

TimCamp

Message par TimCamp » sam. 08 mars 2008, 03:02

I have this problem from time to time and it extends to more than just the guitar. I spend more time collecting for, reading about, and discussing what I want to accomplish than I spend on actions to actually achieve the goal. This usually happens when I have set a very difficult long term goal. When I fall into one of these cycles, I have to set shorter term easier goal(s) to get me motivated to do something. Setting some short term and intermediate goals makes the end goal seem much less formidable. Just remember baby steps, toddler steps, adolescent steps, teenage steps, then adult steps.... works for almost everything.

sboswell

Message par sboswell » ven. 14 mars 2008, 15:39

I use to buy lots of books. I still do buy some, but not as much any more. I now search the web for pieces I want to play. I don't have to buy the whole book for one song. What I can't find for free I pay for. So musicnotes.com gets my money.

That is just how I found this website. I was on youtube listening to some music being played by Paco Talarn. I wanted to learn the piece and tried to find the composer. Turns out it was himself and he is a member here. I have enjoyed this forum immensely since.

Steve

fuyioioih

Message par fuyioioih » sam. 29 mars 2008, 05:02

I'd like to add that I've found that by using Adobe Acrobat I can separate pages from a large pdf collection of scores.
That way, I extract the score for a piece I want to study into a separate file which I can print and which can be stored
for easy retrieval in it's own folder along with whatever mp3s or videos of the piece i find on the forum.
It makes a fine study tool.

Denis Paradis

Message par Denis Paradis » ven. 05 septembre 2008, 22:07

Yup, sounds like me...

My (Music) bookshelve is about to run out of space, but I have another money pit addiction: Magazines! I have binders (lots of) of cut out scores and articles from Guitar Player, Guitariste Accoustique, Fingerstyle... Etc. (Name a magazine available in NA and I probably bought one copy...)

I have a saying, "I'd need two more lifetimes to actually be able to play through all that material..." Let alone what is available here :shock:

I am starting formal instruction this fall (ouf!)
"la musique suffit pour une existence mais une existence ne suffit pas à la musique. "

- Rachmaninov

Revenir vers « English »