General Purpose Thread

bukena

General Purpose Thread

Messagepar bukena » dim. 05 octobre 2008, 17:58

a.k.a. Staying Active in this foreign language thread without having to create new threads.

Ok... for us fussy foreigners to this French forum. We have to maintain active in order to retain membership and priviledges here. So... this thread will allow us to do so without the stress of "how do I know if this translator is decent? i.e. I hope I am not insulting anyone here".

Go for it! (and have fun while you are at it)

b.

Dave W

Re: General Purpose Thread

Messagepar Dave W » jeu. 16 octobre 2008, 14:54

Bukena, appreciate your post. I'm alive again! :merci:

bukena

Messagepar bukena » jeu. 16 octobre 2008, 21:28

Glad to hear that bro.

b.

wchyme

Messagepar wchyme » ven. 17 octobre 2008, 03:48

Glad to help with your translations if you feel that reverting it does not work well. I mean, generally when I use a translator to go from language A to B, I try the result from B to A and see if it's consistent with my original idea. That's my screen test to assess the quality of the translation.
I guess you can ask for help here if this happens to you before you post in French :wink:

GeoffB
Modérateur

Messagepar GeoffB » ven. 17 octobre 2008, 12:12

That's an excellent idea! There used to be a story that the proverb "Out of sight, out of mind" was machine-translated into Russian and then back, and was rendered as "Invisible idiot". I don't know whether it's true or apocryphal. I just tried it with Google's translator, out of curiosity, and they are obviously wise to it, as it comes back correctly with Russian and also when I tried French, though in Japanese it comes back as "Out of mind exorbitant". I've seen some impressive Google translations, and also some hilarious ones. It's a good idea to use short, simple, literal sentences and avoid slang, figures of speech, and abbreviations. I saw a post which referred several times to the CG which had been machine-translated and rendered nonsense. The poster was blissfully unaware that CG had been translated thoughout the post as "centre of gravity". :)

Geoff

Vesuvio

Messagepar Vesuvio » sam. 18 octobre 2008, 09:37

GeoffB a écrit :...The poster was blissfully unaware that CG had been translated thoughout the post as "centre of gravity". :)

The Google translator convers "partitions (Fr)" to... "partitions (Eng)" and never seems to offer the musical alternative,

V :wink:
Veuillez pardonner mon français pauvre. J'espère l'améliorer.

GeoffB
Modérateur

Messagepar GeoffB » sam. 18 octobre 2008, 11:58

The fact that it always opts for one translation is bound to be a drawback when you have words with multiple meanings. If you ask for a score in English, how does it know whether you want a musical score, a football score, a scratch made with a sharp object, or twenty of something? It makes you realise what a sophisticated computer the human brain is! :wink:

Geoff

Vesuvio

Messagepar Vesuvio » sam. 18 octobre 2008, 13:10

Hello Geoff,

Very true, the brain is amazing. I have found a lot of assistance for mine in the Ultralingua Dictionaries. These are available for several languages and I have their French Dictionary and their French/English Dictionary. Both are excellent and another welcome resource is Grammatica, which is a very good spelling and grammar checker—also available for several languages (including English),

Have a lovely weekend, V :)
Veuillez pardonner mon français pauvre. J'espère l'améliorer.

GeoffB
Modérateur

Messagepar GeoffB » sam. 18 octobre 2008, 14:41

Thanks, V. :) - I think I saw a bit of sun earlier. Not bad for this time of the year!

Geoff

bukena

Messagepar bukena » lun. 20 octobre 2008, 18:27

wchyme a écrit :Glad to help with your translations if you feel that reverting it does not work well. I mean, generally when I use a translator to go from language A to B, I try the result from B to A and see if it's consistent with my original idea. That's my screen test to assess the quality of the translation.
I guess you can ask for help here if this happens to you before you post in French :wink:

Thank you kindly for your offer. I usually use a couple of translators, I do revert the translation and I even try it in different languages.

I just started the thread for comfort... for those occasion when I don't feel like going thru the whole proccess.

Have fun!

b.

BTW, Hi Vesuvio, Geoff... gentlemen. :D
Dernière édition par bukena le dim. 02 novembre 2008, 04:50, édité 1 fois.

AO

Messagepar AO » sam. 01 novembre 2008, 22:35

Good idea Bukena, I think all the international sites should have a check in thread,see you next month,AO. :okok:

marcus.2

Messagepar marcus.2 » dim. 02 novembre 2008, 12:20

Hi bukena, or your alias LanceFortune. Thanks for the infomation. Regards marcus.

bukena

Messagepar bukena » lun. 03 novembre 2008, 17:38

marcus.2 a écrit :Hi bukena, or your alias LanceFortune. Thanks for the information. Regards marcus.
Well... you are very welcome, of course, but LanceFortune and I are two separate individuals. I haven't had the pleasure of contacting LanceFortune yet. So... it's not an alias.

b.

griggsy

Messagepar griggsy » ven. 21 novembre 2008, 18:59

Good Idea, now I'm on my way to being part of the French Forum :)

bukena

Messagepar bukena » lun. 24 novembre 2008, 18:56

Yay!... I made it to the 020 group :mrgreen:

Have a great week folks.

b.

Revenir vers « English »