General Purpose Thread

GeoffB
Modérateur

Re: General Purpose Thread

Messagepar GeoffB » sam. 12 juin 2010, 13:26

Great news, Eales. Congratulations on your results!
:bravo:

Geoff

eales

Messagepar eales » sam. 12 juin 2010, 16:43

Thanks Geoff!

Tarbaby

Messagepar Tarbaby » sam. 12 juin 2010, 20:59

Congratulations, eales! Looks like you showed 'em!

:ivresse:

You never know what can happen. I always thought my Bachelor of Music degree was pretty worthless in the real world, but when I moved to Germany in the 70's I got a teaching position at a community college. My supervisor showed me the difference in pay scale for those with degrees and those without. It was quite significant!

More recently, I got a job as a music editor at a local publishing house. The only requirements are that you have a music degree and a recommendation from someone who already works there.

Good luck!

Alan

eales

Messagepar eales » dim. 13 juin 2010, 23:53

Thanks Alan, although I'm not yet done - there's still another year to go!

I'd like to be optimistic about job prospects but at my age it's hard. It's good for self-confidence though which must have an effect of some sort.

:bye:

Tarbaby

Messagepar Tarbaby » lun. 14 juin 2010, 03:02

Well, I got the music editing job at 52. :sage:

Self confidence is always good. :D Maybe you are even learning something at school!

Alan

LanceFortune

Messagepar LanceFortune » mar. 15 juin 2010, 17:31

eales a écrit :Thanks Alan, although I'm not yet done - there's still another year to go!

I'd like to be optimistic about job prospects but at my age it's hard. It's good for self-confidence though which must have an effect of some sort.

I totally understand what you mean. Recently, I have been through a slump, business wise, and self confidence has been such a huge issue to overcome. At 52, indeed.

eales

Messagepar eales » mar. 15 juin 2010, 18:31

Hi Lance - (How's the family? Your wee one must be toddling now!)

Yes it's a real downer - part of it is about the way your energy changes as you get older due I think to the fact that priorities change and you just can't get upset about the same things. I think I've been driven most of my life by nervous energy and I've not worked out how to replace it... I now belatedly realise the value of routine and discipline and it's quite a struggle to get myself on track.

Well life's an adventure - it's not meant to be easy.

You say "been through" so I take it you've come out the other end and things are better? Hope so!

LanceFortune

Messagepar LanceFortune » mar. 15 juin 2010, 22:43

eales a écrit :Hi Lance - (How's the family? Your wee one must be toddling now!)

Yes it's a real downer - part of it is about the way your energy changes as you get older due I think to the fact that priorities change and you just can't get upset about the same things. I think I've been driven most of my life by nervous energy and I've not worked out how to replace it... I now belatedly realise the value of routine and discipline and it's quite a struggle to get myself on track.

Well life's an adventure - it's not meant to be easy.

You say "been through" so I take it you've come out the other end and things are better? Hope so!

About the little one : she is going to be three but in a few weeks from now. TIme flies.

About “been through”… I would say that things appear to get a little better nowadays. New perspectives have opened up, even though business can never, ever be compared to what it was, say a few years ago.

At least I have my guitar, like Jimi used to sing…

bukena

Messagepar bukena » dim. 27 juin 2010, 22:58

Tarbaby a écrit :Hi eales!

Well, he HAS tried to do it for Weiss. Do you remember all the transcriptions he used to post? I remember when he asked me to delete most of them, because he was hoping to get them published. I guess it didn't work out that time, but he has a bulk of material that some publisher will be interested in someday. :D

I hope you are well. I forgot, are you finished with your studies?

Alan

I am still going to publish it and I'll do it myself. I've just been very busy trying to make a living since I moved to Los Cabos. Things have been very rough here. I haven't done a single score since the end of 2008, but as soon as I can manage it, I'll be back to doing my transcriptions. I do intend to the the whole Weiss catalog.

Have fun!

b.

Tarbaby

Messagepar Tarbaby » lun. 28 juin 2010, 03:29

I know it's been tough for you, Armand, but that's good news that you will be getting back to "following your bliss"! :D

Alan

Lorette

Messagepar Lorette » ven. 09 juillet 2010, 20:53

Hello everybody,

Nothing important to say. Just signing in so I do not lose my membership here.

Lorette :D

Valéry Sauvage

Messagepar Valéry Sauvage » ven. 09 juillet 2010, 21:21

Hello Lorette, how are you ?
V.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero. (Horace)

Lorette

Messagepar Lorette » sam. 10 juillet 2010, 17:58

I'm very well, Valéry. Thank you. I'm working on a new original piece by Liz Summers, from the English Forum, called "Sophie's Song". A very beautiful composition inspired by her daughter. I hope I can play it as well as Liz. Check it out.

Lorette

LanceFortune

Messagepar LanceFortune » sam. 10 juillet 2010, 23:25

Lorette a écrit :I'm very well, Valéry. Thank you. I'm working on a new original piece by Liz Summers, from the English Forum, called "Sophie's Song". A very beautiful composition inspired by her daughter. I hope I can play it as well as Liz. Check it out.

Lorette

Howdy Lorette! :mp3svp:

bukena

Messagepar bukena » mer. 25 août 2010, 18:34

Greeting and Salutations folks! I hope everyone is doing well.

b.

Revenir vers « English »