General Purpose Thread

GeoffB
Modérateur

Re: General Purpose Thread

Message par GeoffB » mer. 15 août 2012, 14:34

Valéry Sauvage a écrit :Hello Geoff, nice to read you here, long time I haven't been on the EN side (too busy..)
Hope you're well and every one on the private side !
Send them my best thoughts
Hello, Val, I noticed we hadn't had any of your superb recordings on the English forum for a while! :wink:

We're all well, thank you, as I hope you are. I'll pass on your regards.

Geoff :bye:

Valéry Sauvage

Message par Valéry Sauvage » mer. 15 août 2012, 16:16

I'm not in a recording mood for lute and guitar, but I'm more in ukulele during this holidays... ;-)
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero. (Horace)

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » mer. 15 août 2012, 23:06

As the English saying goes, "a change is as good as a rest". :wink:

Geoff

pasjk

Message par pasjk » ven. 22 février 2013, 02:13

Trust all is well with those on this forum in whatever language, Always so much to learn and gain from.

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » ven. 22 février 2013, 02:53

Hi pasjk, all's well with me at least! It's certainly been quiet on the English miniforum for quite a while.

Geoff

pasjk

Message par pasjk » mer. 29 mai 2013, 01:19

Spent two days last week with two composer performers and filmed their concert in Newburyport Mass. Doing some remixing of the original solo pieces. They also did three duets.

Lorette

Message par Lorette » ven. 01 novembre 2013, 06:19

Hello everybody

I have been away for a while and I miss the friends and beautiful music found on the French forum. I'm glad I'm back and active again.

Lorette :D

pasjk

Message par pasjk » mer. 18 décembre 2013, 01:58

Had to be away for awhile. Nice to be back.

pasjk

Message par pasjk » mer. 18 décembre 2013, 02:01

Been away for awhile. Nice to be back.

Stéphan

Message par Stéphan » mer. 18 décembre 2013, 04:51

carella a écrit : The french expression "to speak french like a spanish cow" is an evolution of "to speak french like a spanish basque"
Basque is an ancient european people spread over south west of France and north of Spain.
When Franco took power over Spain country (~1936) many spanish Basque people cross the border to go to France.
As they did not speak french very well the expression "to speak french like a spanish basque", (say "bask"), came up.

As in french the word for cow, i.e. "vache" (say "vash"), is rather close to the word "basque" (especially because in spanish language the pronunciation of the letters "v" and "b" are very close) the expression became "to speak french like a spanish vache"

[...]
C'était la minute culturelle de Carella !

Je le tiens d'une minute digne de Mr Cyclopède :
"Parler comme une vache Espagnole", serait en fait, un dérivé de l'expression aussi moderne qu'inavouable de : "Parler comme une vache, elle se pagnole".
... Entendu l'exposé le démontrant à la radio (France culture ... émission probable : des papoux dans la tête) voilà plusieurs années, je suis encore à la recherche de sa source : a.b.e.s., merci !

Oh sorry, perhaps should I (try to) speak English here. So do I try to translate may words right here :

"Speaking English like a spanish cow", might be, as a matter of fact, a derivative of the, as modern as indicible words : "Talking like a cow, she's ***** herself" (but works only with french words sounds).
... Heard throught a verrry serious french radio some years ago, I'm still looking for a recording that I could share, as a proof of it's veracity (and about my seriousness :roll: ) : thanks ! :lol:

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » lun. 23 décembre 2013, 18:06

Hi Stéphan,

An ingenious play on words, and while I was trying to make sense of it, I may have found the source for you. If you search in Google for "elle se pagnole", one of the results (the canalblog site) has more details.

Geoff

Stéphan

Message par Stéphan » jeu. 26 décembre 2013, 11:22

Hello Geoff
Thank you, that is the text I was looking for! You're the best!
...How could I have managed my researches to finally not find it ? ...

So you gave us the fool proof that this expression "comme une vache est-ce pagnole", is a sound distortion of french rurals talking way to describe how a cow wich is walking with its tail up, could be comic or ridiculous to see.
Do you imagine how majestic she could look ? :lol:
(I still remember, and smile again by reading this text again, this comic theater while, played by Claude Piéplu)

Thanks to you again, it confirms what I always knew : Jean-Pierre Brisset has got the truth !

... I'd advise you not to try to give a sense to this. :wink:

:bye:

pasjk

Re: password

Message par pasjk » sam. 13 septembre 2014, 20:00

I have forgotten my password for the english forum.
Does anyone know what to do to reset it. THe log in page does not give that option.
Thanks.
Joe

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » dim. 14 septembre 2014, 13:39

Hi Joe,

Automated forum emails were re-enabled just yesterday, so you should get the option to reset your password again (an option we haven't had for some time). Just give me a few minutes to check that it's there ...

Yes, I just checked. Start by clicking on the login button, then on the link that says "I forgot my password". You'll be prompted for your username and email address (which should be the one you have registered on the forum). After entering them, click on Submit, and you'll get an email with the new password and possibly a link you need to click on to activate it (I can't remember exactly, but there'll be some sort of instructions).

Geoff

pasjk

Message par pasjk » dim. 14 septembre 2014, 14:37

Thank loads Geoff.
I'l get to it.
Joe

Revenir vers « English »