Where the heck is this place?

GeoffB
Modérateur

Re: Where the heck is this place?

Message par GeoffB » lun. 02 août 2010, 11:53

Just a thought, would you be able to guarantee that members registered in the same name on different forums are the same person?

Geoff

wchyme

Message par wchyme » lun. 02 août 2010, 17:13

GeoffB a écrit :Just a thought, would you be able to guarantee that members registered in the same name on different forums are the same person?

Geoff
I think going forward we would have a single registration. For the legacy, that's indeed a good question. Chances are that the email on record is the same in which case that would be a trivial match otherwise no match then 2 distinct accounts and manual process...

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » lun. 02 août 2010, 18:29

OK, I suspect it's the manual process that will be the sticking point, but I'll be interested anyway to see what reaction you get to your proposal. Of course, you'll need to accompany it with a reasonably detailed explanation of how it could be achieved without creating too much extra work. By the way, I missed the fact earlier that you mentioned using the same password as well as username, which I suppose might be sufficient to match users across the forums, if there was a way to connect to a central database, and if it's possible to compare passwords from two or more different tables.

One more thing to bear in mind is that the forums are now split not only into separate databases, but also across two independent servers, to prevent all forums going down at the same time (FR, IT and ES on one, EN and legacy forums on the other). If they were all dependent on one central database, that would presumably reintroduce a single point of failure, which Jean-François might see as a step backwards.

Geoff

pasjk

Message par pasjk » mar. 03 août 2010, 14:11

Yes, there are some things available that differ at each of the forums and they are all of value.

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » jeu. 05 août 2010, 12:24

You're right, pasjk, I'm sure most members don't realise what they're missing in terms of the members' scores and recordings on the other forums. It's a pity that so few of them embark upon that exploration, though of course I can understand their hesitation to venture onto a forum where they don't speak the language. As we know, though, that should not deter people.

Geoff

pasjk

Message par pasjk » mer. 01 septembre 2010, 00:58

No matter what... it is a nice place to be.

Stéphan

Message par Stéphan » lun. 04 octobre 2010, 23:40

I am registered under the same profile (same login, same password) at both the .us and the .fr side of the force. I'm not sure to have understood if that requires any moderator's manual process to keep me alive somewhere : is it prefered I get one of them changed ?

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » mar. 05 octobre 2010, 00:27

No Stéphan, that is not a problem. In fact it is usually easier. The only thing you need to do to keep your account alive is to post at least one message per month on average (number of posts divided by number of months of membership). I see you have enough posts already on the English forum to last you nearly another 2 years! :wink:

Geoff

wombad

Message par wombad » ven. 08 octobre 2010, 10:26

Uh, want to also look at the recordings here... maybe the french i learned at school will refresh itself if i only stay in this forum for some time?
...well maybe not. :(

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » ven. 08 octobre 2010, 13:21

Hi Wombad,

Welcome to this side of the forum! You can get by without French, though you may well find that some of it will come back to you as you read some of the comments people post in reply to recordings, and you can pick up a few useful phrases to use yourself. And of course, if all else fails, we've always got the lingua franca of the smiley to fall back on. :wink:

Enjoy looking around!

Geoff

LanceFortune

Message par LanceFortune » ven. 08 octobre 2010, 15:09

GeoffB a écrit :Hi Wombad,
Welcome to this side of the forum! You can get by without French, though you may well find that some of it will come back to you as you read some of the comments people post in reply to recordings, and you can pick up a few useful phrases to use yourself. And of course, if all else fails, we've always got the lingua franca of the smiley to fall back on. :wink:
Enjoy looking around!
Geoff
wombad a écrit :Uh, want to also look at the recordings here... maybe the french i learned at school will refresh itself if i only stay in this forum for some time?
...well maybe not. :(
And you might also consider asking your friendly bilingual moderator to translate, if needed. :wink:

Welcome around, Wombad!

wombad

Message par wombad » jeu. 14 octobre 2010, 09:48

Thanks!
I guess this makes my second post, so i should be able to see stuff now. ;-)

Paul

Message par Paul » mar. 19 octobre 2010, 21:33

wchyme a écrit :
Paul a écrit :Interesting.

I wonder how that would affect the management of users, i.e. new users are on a queuing system where their first post needs to be approved etc. Would the control panel for the moderators and the administrator then somehow bridge across all the linked forums?

Paul
That could be, but a rather simpler solution is to let users qualify in their language and inherit the qualification across forums. Otherwise said, having privileges on one forum would automatically mean having the same on all forums.
Would you like to chime in on this thread over here? http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 06&start=0

It appears JFD is willing to consider it if certain conditions could be met. Some discussion would be good.

Paul

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » mer. 20 octobre 2010, 01:18

Paul a écrit : Would you like to chime in on this thread over here? http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 06&start=0

It appears JFD is willing to consider it if certain conditions could be met. Some discussion would be good.
Watch out too for another topic that should be appearing soon on the English forum, where Jean-François will ask the same question about a single registration, this time in its own thread and with extra details. That will be the best topic to respond to.

Geoff

Sean

Message par Sean » ven. 29 octobre 2010, 22:00

Just now returning to this post - I didn't realize the avatar didn't carry over!

Revenir vers « English »