Message par railsailor44 » mer. 17 juin 2009, 17:01

Just checking in...

Cheers!

Pete, Chambly, QC, Canada

Paul

Re: General Purpose Thread

Message par Paul » mer. 17 juin 2009, 22:24

Hi Pete,

Forgive my ignorance, but don't a large proportion of Canadians speak French? Or are at least familiar with it?

LanceFortune

Message par LanceFortune » jeu. 18 juin 2009, 15:44

Paul a écrit :Hi Pete,

Forgive my ignorance, but don't a large proportion of Canadians speak French? Or are at least familiar with it?
According to the 2006 Census, about 58% of Canadians reported English as their mother tongue and about 22% reported French (Source: Statistics Canada).

Other questions? :wink:

ctepsick

Message par ctepsick » jeu. 18 juin 2009, 22:07

It's interesting how similar the languages appear (I mean you can almost get the idea just by trying to read it...even if you know nothing about French); still, they sound so different.

Paul

Message par Paul » ven. 19 juin 2009, 17:49

LanceFortune a écrit :
Paul a écrit :Hi Pete,

According to the 2006 Census, about 58% of Canadians reported English as their mother tongue and about 22% reported French (Source: Statistics Canada).

Other questions? :wink:
One nice thing about being ignorant is that there are so many more things to learn! :wink:

Paul

Message par Paul » dim. 21 juin 2009, 21:18

:discussion: :casque: :merci: :bye: :pace: :elec: :lol: :okok: :ouioui:

Nine smilies possible here instead of 7. Great!!!!!!!!

Sor-Head

Message par Sor-Head » lun. 22 juin 2009, 00:40

As you surmised, Paul, many Canadian anglophones have some knowledge of French. French is an official language of Canada and most Canadian children receive at least basic French instruction. There are at present over 300,000 anglophone children in French immersion school programs in Canada. :D :bravo:

Paul

Message par Paul » mer. 24 juin 2009, 20:56

Sor-Head a écrit :French immersion school programs
What do you mean by French immersion school programs?

Sor-Head

Message par Sor-Head » jeu. 25 juin 2009, 00:17

Paul a écrit :
Sor-Head a écrit :French immersion school programs
What do you mean by French immersion school programs?

Hi Paul,

These are school programmes that begin in elementary, middle or secondary schools in which some of the subjects are taught in French and French is spoken as the language of conversation - the goal, obviously, is fluent bilingualism. The programmes vary quite widely, but are considered highly successful, with immersion students not only learning French but performing better across a range of measures than non-immersion students, although this may reflect a selection factor (brighter kids tending to go into the programme). Here's a bit more on the subject from Statistics Canada: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/81-004-x/2 ... 23-eng.htm

Paul

Message par Paul » jeu. 25 juin 2009, 14:31

Hi Sor-Head,

Thanks for the link. We have an interesting situation in this part of the world with 11 official languages and everyone trying to be taught in English and not doing very well as a result. I think it will be interesting to read another method in which 2nd languages could be introduced into schools.

Regards,

Paul

Sor-Head

Message par Sor-Head » jeu. 25 juin 2009, 20:47

Paul, I take it you have English and Afrikaans plus all the tribal languages there like Zulu and Xhosa, etc.? And whatever happened to the Huguenots? Were they completely assimilated into the Afrikaner group or is there still any French culture in S.A.?

Paul

Message par Paul » dim. 28 juin 2009, 15:55

The French Huguenots have been completely assimilated. You still see the French surnames and first names all over the place, but they are Afrikaners now along with the Dutch colonials.

bukena

Message par bukena » ven. 03 juillet 2009, 18:10

Alright... we made it to July. Have a great summer everyone!

b.

syncopation

Message par syncopation » jeu. 16 juillet 2009, 16:30

I would love to have a great summer, but it is winter here. Very cold by Australian standards.

Revenir à « English »